Work with Us
New Play Commission Program
Playwrights! What do you want to write next? Do you have a project currently in mind that you think would fit our mission?
Whether you're a new or established playwright, we encourage you to submit an idea or story kernel you're interested in developing as a full-length play. If you're selected, you'll receive an $800 writing stipend to develop the idea, feedback and support from Walking Shadow's artistic directors, and a public staged reading.
We will accept submissions from August 15 - 30, 2015. Start thinking about which of your current ideas you want to tell us about! And if you aren't sure whether an idea is a good fit for us, check out our mission statement and production history to get a feel for the work we do.
- submissions accepted August 15 - 30, 2015
- open to playwrights living in Minnesota or western Wisconsin
- attach one previous full-length or Fringe-length play, to give us a feel for your style and experience as an author
- provide a playwriting resume, with production history (if any)
- present a short project pitch (no more than 200 words: boil it down to what's exciting) detailing a concept, story, or idea that you want to explore
- if you have more than one idea brewing, submit up to three different pitches!
Some additional details on this commissioning program:
- We're interested in developing new plays, not subsequent drafts of existing plays. It's okay if you have some preliminary work already done (e.g., research, notes, sketches), but we're specifically interested in moving from concept to script.
- The commission is a stand-alone program, and does not guarantee production, however Walking Shadow will ask right of first local refusal for any commissioned script.
- Payment and contracts for plays picked up for production will be negotiated separately.
- This commission opportunity is funded with the proceeds from the 2014 and 2015 One Minute Play Festivals. Special thanks to the One Minute Play Festival, Mixed Blood Theatre, and The Southern Theater for co-producing these events!
A Midwinter Night's Revel runs Dec 4 - 30, 2015 (rehearses November)
The Aliens runs Feb 12 - 27, 2016 (rehearses January)
Lasso of Truth runs April 15 - May 7, 2016 (rehearses March/April)
The Christians runs May 20 - June 19, 2016 (rehearses April/May)
Student Mentorship Program
This program allows students from middle-school to college to work with our regular professional artists in production mentorships. Learn more here.